Friday, June 3, 2011

Steiff and Hedgehogs: A Love Story


Steiff, a high end German toy factory dating back to 1880, has long been making hedgehogs in their line of toys. See the one above? I just discovered him on Ruby Lane and fell in love. Unfortunately, he was already sold, and very a very reasonable price of $55 despite being around half a century old, hand made, and hard to find.

Let me back up a little bit. For those people who haven't heard of Steiff before $55 might seem like an absurd price for a toy which is only about 12 cm (4.5 in) tall. The Maragarete Steiff GmbH company began in Giengen with a woman handicapped by Polio who had skill in sewing and business. She started by making clothing and small felt elephants. Pretty soon the elephants became a hit, and with the help of her brothers and nephews, she began making more and more toys until they far outsold the clothes. The company grew and grew and today it is still situated in Giengen, still makes all of it's beautiful toys by hand, and is known all over the world for the skill and workmanship which produces it's beautiful pieces. I am a devout collector, can't you tell?

Getting back to the point, since hedgehogs are so beloved in Europe Steiff has made many different models in their lines throughout the years. They are called Joggi (Igel) in most cases. Here is another adorable example.
This prime specimen is from my collection. Here is link to a page from a blog called My Steiff Life where a much more experienced collector shared some knowledge with me about my little Joggi Igel. I have collected Steiff since...well...ever, I guess. My very first Steiff was bought for me by my parents before I was even born. He was also bigger than me, hence his name "Big Bear". Since then I have accumulated a mixture of old and new Steiff critters in all kinds of species. Even Matt helps to fuel my collection! So now that I have a chance to combine my love of hedghogs with my love of Steiff...well let's just say I am very excited. The adorable hedgehog in the photo at the top (also called Joggi) is standing in the "begging" position, and his head is jointed. Here is a link to the page with more photos and information. In case anyone of you happen to be Steiff collectors, or just want one because they are adorable, Rosalie (the seller on Ruby Lane who's shop I linked) is a really excellent and personable vendor. She makes sure that all the information available is presented clearly and accurately to her buyers and prices her items very reasonably.

No comments:

Post a Comment